A muffin with no added sugar, gluten or animal products doesn't have to be boring. Thanks to my GERD I am back to eating a fairly plain diet. I usually these Oat muffins from Happy Herbivore and adapt them to be a but more GERD friendly. These yummy muffins are sweetened with 'Date syrup'. I find that this kind of sweetness doesn't cause the burn that anything with sugar or honey does.
Oatmeal breakfast muffins
No sugar added, dairy and gluten free
2 cups gluten free Oat Flour (learn how to make your own here)
1/4 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
1/4 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
3/4 cup non dairy milk (I used almond milk)
1 teaspoon ground flax seed
2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoon dried mulberry berries (almond milk)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ripe banana
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
Pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly spray 8 cups in a 12 cup non stick muffin tin.
- Prepare the 'date syrup': heat the dates and 1/4 of water in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute in high. Set aside to soak and cool for 30 minutes.
- Prepare flax seed egg: in a glass or mug, whisk flax seed and 2 tablespoon of cold water until frothy. Set aside.
- In large bowl mix together the Oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger.
- When the dates are cooled, place them in a blender or food processor. On top of this add the non diary milk, mulberry berries, olive oil, banana and vanilla essence. Pulse the mixture until it is smoothie consistency.
- Pour the date mixture and the flax seed 'egg' into the dry ingredients and stir until nearly combined. Add the oatmeal and mix a 2-3 more times.
- Spoon mixture into 8 muffin tins and bake for 15-18 minutes.
If you are all good with eggs and/or diary than by all means substitute:
- the flax seed and water for 1 large egg
- Non diary milk for skim fat milk
I would be really interested to hear your tips and tricks for adding some variety to a GERD diet!